21 October 2011

gearing up for post-summer rain

Ortlieb / Performance Ripstop Rain Pants / Loeffler Randall rain booties
Unlike warm summer rain falls, when one can dry off easily wearing shorts and sandals,  last Wednesday's commute forced my rain gear favs out of the closet...

  • waterproof backpack by Ortlieb   I never ever worry about water getting into my Ortlieb Velocity. No exterior pockets or zippers - just a simple top loading bag with a roll top (and a very convenient pouch that snaps inside for your cell phone and such).
  • rain paints from Performance (on sale right now for $29.99) There are few things worse then arriving to work after riding through the rain in completely drenched clothes - which is why rain pants rock. Yes, you can't care too much about what you look like in them but they are SO EASY to throw on top of whatever pants (or tights) your wearing that day and have articulated knees making it easier to pedal. I have a black version but love this version in HELLO yellow!
  • rain booties I was so excited when Loeffler Randall came out with these slip-on versions of their rain bootie. Reminds me of my father's galoshes. But these are so cute they can be worn even on a sunny day! The 35mm wedge also gives you a little lift. If the price tag scares you, Jeffrey Campbell makes a similar version I spotted on Refinery 29.

  • clear rain jacket by Louis Garneau An awesome option at about $24 -- made translucent to keep racers jersey sponsor logos visible, but also allows your rear red light on your belt loop to shine through! Since it's waterproof, if you perspire there will be condensation but the mesh sections help with ventilation. I have an older version made of PVC but these days they're made of EVA -- a waterproof material that contains neither cadmium nor lead.

And a rainy day item I have on my wish list...
  • helmet cover by Louis Garneau Visibility in the rain is difficult - whether your cycling, walking or driving THUS I try to always have my front and rear blinking lights on. The icing on the cake would be this bright helmet cover which would also keep my hair dry, like Matthew's!
happy riding - rain or shine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...